Re: Is anyone packaging `lame' ?

MoiN

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 09:27:49PM +0200, Jorgen 'forcer' Schaefer wrote:
> I'm
> not a lawyer and i'm not sure about the phrasing of either the
> patent law or the frauenhofer patent, but it could be worthwhile
> to check in how far the patent disallows distribution of lame
> (without frauenhofer code).

This has been discussed on mp3encoder@geek.rcc.se. They came up
with this URL: http://www.mp3licensing.com/ which states that you
have to pay Thomson/Frauenhofer for the patents used in any mp3
encoder. And it is nearly impossible to write a patent-free mp3
encoder :(

<ADS> If you are looking for a patent-free audio codec, try
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/ </ADS>

    Ingo
--
I am the "ILOVEGNU" signature virus. Just copy me to your signature.
This email was infected under the terms of the GNU General Public License.