Re: Locations of ftp, httpd and named directories

Previously Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> like you've probably read, the new FHS wants the root directories for www,
> anonymous ftp and DNS moved out of /home, where many Linux distributions
> used to keep it.

I'm quite sure that the FHS says no such thing. This is a debate that
resurfaces every so often on the fhs-discuss list and the consensus is
always that there are many good reasons for many different locations,
and it is best left to the administrator.

Bind has moved all its files to /etc/named/ upstream recently, which might
not a bad decision.

> We're currently fixing up Red Hat Linux to comply - but we'd like to have
> standard locations rather than yet another "every distribution picks their
> own favorite", so I'd like to discuss the locations with you.

Perhaps you should mention this on lsb-discuss as well.

> We're currently planning to go for /var/ftp (some of the BSDs are using
> this, so it's probably a compatible choice), /var/www (simple analogy to
> ftp - I haven't seen this in use anywhere though, so if anyone has a
> better suggestion, that's ok with me) and /var/named (we've been using
> this all the time).

Debian already uses /var/www.

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@liacs.nl                    http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |