Re: Is anyone packaging `lame' ?

David Starner <dvdeug@x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu> writes:

> On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 05:28:19PM +0100, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> > In the US they do.  Surely someone in (say) the UK could
> > package it - we couldn't have it in the main section, but
> > people living in countries where software patents don't exist
> > would be okay.
>
> The mp3 patent is a German patent also (hence it can't go into
> non-free).

German patent laws don't allow to have a patent on an algorithm
alone, only together with a technical (hardware) procedure.  I'm
not a lawyer and i'm not sure about the phrasing of either the
patent law or the frauenhofer patent, but it could be worthwhile
to check in how far the patent disallows distribution of lame
(without frauenhofer code).

This should be discussed on debian-legal, though.
        -- forcer

--
((email . "forcer@mindless.com")       (www . "http://forcix.cx/";)
 (irc   . "forcer@#StarWars (IRCnet)") (gpg . "/other/forcer.gpg"))