Re: Removing non-free - reality check.

On Sat, 10 Jun 2000, Adam McKenna wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 09:05:36PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 Jun 2000, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:
> >
> > > As I wrote before, while I DO appreciate people like you trying to
> > > "cleanse" Debian from anything not entirely free, I also DO
> > > appreciate having access to debian-ready non-free software if I can
> > > agree with the license tied to that software.
> >
> > 	I wonder, would perhaps a better compramise be to require for
> > non-free that apt come up and inform the user of the license and ask
> > them if they agree before installing it?
> > 	Perhaps w/ a flag that experianced users (who have already
> > looked over the license and know what they're getting into) can use
> > to turn it off?
> > 	This retains the control and makes users much more aware that
> > the software they are installing is non-free...
>
> No, you're missing the point.
>
> The object of this GR is to appease the people who point at Debian and say
> "look, they're hypocrites!  They say they're free but they distribute
> non-free software!"  (I.E. the rabid extremists)
>
> your solution doesn't address this.

	I don't have an interest in appeaseing such people.  I have an
interest in accomadating those who are not at that extreme but feel that
it would be good to do something.  If a compramise isn't made then the
extremists may get their way because those who are not so extreme would
go that way just to have something be done.

		Stephen