On Wed, Jun 07, 2000 at 10:49:24PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen (Ray) wrote:
> > I would be saddened to see things like mpg123 (which would be probably be
> > Free if the patent issues were not there)
>
> Erm, there is a free (but limited, at least command line argument wise)
> version of mpg123 included in the freeamp package. And there's alsaplayer
> and probably other free MP3 players around.

Notice that mpg123 portions written by the original author were relicensed
to GPL by him, for XMMS authors to be able to include that code in their
program. Reasons because the whole of mpg123 isn't free yet are purely
technical, I guess -- nobody asked other contributors to the program if they
agree to changing their license.