Re: Type1 fonts...

Michael Sobolev <mss@transas.com> wrote:

>>> At the moment, there is a number of packages (at least, two of
>>> them: gsfonts and cupsys) that contain Type1 fonts.  Would not it
>>> be convenient to have a standard interface for installing/making
>>> these fonts available/removing these fonts?

It would be very convenient, but I'm not sure, how to realize this.
One of the problems I see, is that we need different fonts for X11 and
Ghostscript (maybe for other programs, too), which cannot always be
computed automatically (type1inst tries to do so, which is not always
fully successful).  Another point is, that I do not always want to
have all fonts available in all circumstances.  So I personally only
need the 34(?) Adobe fonts in ghostscript (other fonts IMHO have to be
embedded in the postscript file, to be able to print this file on a
postscript printer, too).  On the other hand, I don't like too many
fonts being available on X11, because otherwise the font list in gimp
is too long to find the font you use...

So I fear that making available all fonts to all programs isn't the
optimal way, but we need a configurable mechanism...

>> Have you looked at the "type1inst" package?

> It's a bit different to what I mean.  Or, what is also possible, I
> do not quite understand how to use it correctly.

It's not fully compatible with the ideas of the Debian packaging
system at the moment, because you have to create
fonts.{dir,scale,alias} in the font directory...
On the other hand, the upcoming X11 font policy proposes to place all
type1 fonts in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/type1 and to compose
fonts.scale and fonts.alias via
/etc/X11/fonts/Type1/<package>.{scale,alias} using
update-fonts-scale(8) and update-fonts-alias(8).

> My idea is to have the font available to all applications as soon
> it's installed.

I'm not sure, whether we really want this for all fonts and all
applications...

> Using type1inst means that I have to modify configuration files for
> all applications to include the directory where the font is
> installed.

That's right.  For this I build the package gsfonts-x11, which makes
gsfonts available for X11 (which is a _very_ good idea, if you use
xfig or sketch).  I also would prefer a more generic solution, but I
don't have an idea to realize this in a flexible way...

Tschoeeee

        Roland

--
 * roland@spinnaker.de * http://www.spinnaker.de/ *