Re: ITP: lirc, devfsd

On Sun, Apr 02, 2000 at 10:09:30PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> > Similarly, I have packaged devfsd (http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/).
> > This one still needs a couple of problems ironing out first.
>
> No offense, but I hope you realize the amount of effort that will be
> needed for devfsd. Since it is a key element in our 2.4.x upgrade path,
> the amount of policy and technical bugs will be tremendous (permissions,
> adding support for default compatibility devices, etc..).
>
> I just don't want to see anyone go lightly into packaging devfsd. If you
> aren't prepared to take on the responsiblity of what will most likely
> become a base and essential package, leave it for some one else to do.

I hope debian is not planning on `forcing' [0] the use of devfs with 2.4,
last i checked it was still a compile time option (and experimental at
that) there are some of us who don't care for devfs and do not wish to
use it.

[0] read making it exceedingly inconvenient to forgo or disable devfs
in 2.4 kernels, for example neglecting to maintain or provide a real
(non-devfs) working /dev directory.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/