Re: UPS setup problems (apcuspd and genpower)

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Thomas R. Shemanske wrote:

> A few days ago, I posted this to the debian-users list, but got no
> takers.
> Perhaps someone here has some ideas.
OK, if noone else replied I'll give it a trial.  Consider me as a
fool with the fortune to get a running UPS daemon and not as an
expert in this field!!

Once I tried *every* single UPS daemon package of the Debian system
without any success.  The reason was (if I remember right) that they
were talking to the UPS via "SMART" connection (please read more
in your documentation about that topic).  Unfortunately the cable
shipped with my UPS didn't support this mode.  It only supportet
"SIMPLE" connection.  (Note:  Possibly you have to swap the words
SMART and SIMPLE in the previous text.  They are possibly confused
by my "unSMART" memory :-). )

Please read all the documentation (of the daemon and the hardware)
very carefully, which cables you need or how you can build the
right cable yourself.

After failing with all I tried to package ssd from the APC site.
I was successfull in packaging it but it failed to work because
of the same reason I stated above.  Because I couldn't test it I
uploaded it to experimental.  May be you give it a triel.  But don't
blame me if it don't work!!  Take it or ask me to remove it from
there.

Finally I took the smupsd which is shipped with RedHat and happyly
I was successful.  The package is available in potato.  Please
check the configuration file very carefully.  It needs investigation
by hand!  (Any volunteers to add debconf stuff to the package???
Unfortunately I have no time for this.  May be anyone more experienced
than me takes over the package.  It is in a "works for me" state.)

May be you can gain more information in a Hardware related mailinglist
or newsgroup as I did.

Kind regards

        Andreas.