Re: RBL report..

On Sun, Mar 26, 2000 at 11:15:42AM +0200, Nils Jeppe wrote:
> > ORBS has a tendancy to not take the time to make sure their messages go to
> > the right places and then they are very slow to take sites off the list
> > after problems are fixed.
>
> afaik, ORBS sends to postmaster@domain. What other right place could there
> be?

The domain's technical contact.

> And taking people off the list is automatic. Fix it, enter the IP in their
> form, it gets re-cehcekd and taken off the list. Works like a charm.

Uh, I can find at least one site real quickly whose admin will tell you
that he got a message from ORBS, fixed the problem, was blacklisted
anyway, and it took him a month to get off that list even though the
problem was fixed days before they blacklisted him.

> > ie, to them making sure spam never happens is more important than what
> > damage they cause in hte process.  I rate them in with the DUL.
>
> If people configured their servers correctly, they'd never get on the
> list. ;-) Also, ORBS allows for I think 3-5 days warning in advance, which
> is sufficient to fix a server.

Given every report I've heard to the contrary, I'm not sure I believe
that.  I've also been told that there are cases where their tests produce
false positives.

<Knghtbrd> it's too bad most old unices turned out y2k compliant
<Knghtbrd> because it means people will STILL BE RUNNING THEM in 30 years
           =p
<Knghtbrd> it would have been so much nicer if y2k effectively killed off
           hpux, aix, sunos, etc  ;>
<Espy> Knghtbrd: since when are PH-UX, aches, and solartus "old"?