Re: 5 days till Bug Horizon

On Wed, Mar 22, 2000 at 12:50:19PM +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
> Previously Richard Braakman wrote:
> > Package: autofs (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Justin Maurer <justin@debian.org>
> >   52132 autofs: Race condition when expiring autofs submounts leaves daemon crippled
> > [STRATEGY] Patch available, waiting for reply from upstream
>
> We should probably go with the patch in the bugreport, it seems to work
> nicely and I haven't seen any objections to it on linux-autofs.

I agree.

> > Package: cvs (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Tom Lees <tom@debian.org>
> >   59543 cvs: cvs-makerepos does not exist
>
> Isn't this just "cvs init"?

This probably refers to this comment in the template file:

 If you have not yet created these repositories, you can create them after
 cvs has been installed. Use the command 'cvs-makerepos' to create them with
 fairly standard permissions, or create them yourself using 'cvs init'.

I don't think this is release-critical.  Someone who discovers that
cvs-makerepos isn't there will just try cvs init.

> > Package: dpkg (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@debian.org>
> >   58091 package name "Eterm" --> "eterm"
>
> This is a residue of a bug in another package which violated policy by
> using a capital in the packagename. I wonder if I could get away with
> simply lowercasing the package-names when reading the available-file..

Hmm, I don't understand the problem.  dpkg is documented to be
partially case-sensitive, with uppercase names being deprecated.
Perhaps the problem is in apt?  The reporter mentioned that "dselect/apt"
wouldn't upgrade eterm, but dpkg did.

> > Package: mh (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Edward Brocklesby <ejb@debian.org>
> >   59227 htdig: Apparent infinite recursion
> >   59891 Security problem in MIME-handling code
>
> Can we drop this package and tell people to use nmh instead? I've been
> thinking of releasing a security advisory to that effect..

Apparently Edward is working on an upload as I type this.

> > Package: netbase (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Anthony Towns <ajt@debian.org>
> >   59282 netbase: portmap is killed too early on shutdown
>
> Hasn't this one been fixed by now?

Something is up with netbase; it has loads of RC bugs now.  This happens
to be the only one older than the snapshot date.

> > Package: smail (debian/main).
> > Maintainer: Soenke Lange <soenke@escher.north.de>
> > [HELP] Mail to Soenke bounced.
> >   59135 smail: Smail doesn't work with the latest libraries
>
> We seem to have a history of release-critical bugs for smail until just
> before the release... is Soenke reading this, or has anyone contacted
> him?

The last smail upload was an NMU.  The last maintainer upload was October
1998.  I sent mail to Soenke today, but I do not have much hope of
reaching him.

I think no-one cares about smail anymore; we've all switched to sexier
mailers, and new users get exim.  It may be time to drop smail.

Richard Braakman