Re: [transcript] source package formats

>>>>> "Adam" == Adam Heath <adam@doogie.org> writes:

How would you create these diffs?

Also, have you considered how such a system could be integrated
with CVS?

I guess cvs could be used to automatically generate the required
diffs, given labels of key versions...

Who would this work without CVS? If the maintainer wanted to create
the diff files manually (is this the only way?), could he/she include
the diffs somewhere in the source tree, or would he/she have to
manually create and update the *.diffs.tar.gz file?

    Adam> Actually, it will make things 'less trustworthy,' to quote
    Adam> Ian.  What is to keep a script in debian/ from editting the
    Adam> files that exist in debian/diffs?

I don't understand the security concern - what is to stop the
script from patching any number of files in the source tree, during
the standard build process?

    Adam> And the diffs do live in a standard spot, in
    Adam> ../*.diffs.tar.gz.

I meant in uncompressed form.

I have not gone into depth into any of the above issues, but will
leave it at that until I understand the proposal a bit better.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>