slink->potato upgrade woes

I finally decided to upgrade my slink machine to potato, and
ran into the following problem.

After changing my apt sources.list to point to potato instead of
slink, and doing apt-get upgrade, I did two "by-hand" installs:

apt-get install dpkg
apt-get install apt

The dpkg install also upgraded ldso, libc6{-dev}, libncurses5, locales,
nscd, and removed libtricks and timezone(s). The apt install brought in
the latest libstdc++ package.

At this point, I tried a 'apt-get dist-upgrade', with the following effect:

# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libpam0g-util lynx netstd newt0.25 popt
  bootpc cfingerd fakeroot finger fping ftp icmpinfo libbz2 libglib1.2
  libgtk1.2 liblockfile1 libnewt0 libnss1-compat libpam-modules libpam-runtime
  libpcre2 libpopt0 libreadline4 libssl09 liburi-perl libvncauth0 libwrap0
  lockfile-progs midentd perl-5.004 perl-5.004-base perl-5.004-doc
  perl-5.004-suid rdate rdist rsh-client ruptime rusers rwall rwho rwhod
  tcl8.2 tcpd tftp tk8.2 traceroute
The following packages have been kept back
  cvs ddd exim kbd libesd0 libgtk-perl libhtml-parser-perl libmime-base64-perl
251 packages upgraded, 41 newly installed, 5 to remove and 8 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/78.6MB of archives. After unpacking 36.3MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential package libpam0g due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad, but if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
E: Internal Error, Could not early remove libpam0g

Obviously, I can work around this, but I suspect many users would be
uncomfortable with this.

Steve

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read