Re: we need more variation for conffiles

>>"Atsuhito" == Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> writes:

 Atsuhito> there are cases in which it is better to replace files by default.

        But these cases are version dependent; a file that in version
 3.2 should not override the users changes, may need to override them
 in version 3.2.1

 Atsuhito> For example, devpts.sh contained the bug but it is conffiles
 Atsuhito> so if a user answered with only pressing return key then
 Atsuhito> it is not replaced with the corrected devpts.sh.

        But, until the typo, not replacing by default would have been
 correct behaviour -- and the next version, that would be correct
 behaviour again.

 Atsuhito> So I think that conffiles should be, at least, two kind and

 Atsuhito> - one is not replaced by default (current conffiles)
 Atsuhito> - other is replaced by default (new kind of conffiles)

        How do you know, as you start to package, which is going to be
 which? You should never be writing the new kind of conffiles,
 anyway.

        And, if you do know there is something that you need to
 override the users wishes, you should *NOT& make it a conffile, just
 have it included as default in the *REAL* conffile.

        Frankly, I think that having a shell script be a conffile is a
 bad design decision (the shell script should source the real
 conffile), and the devpts fiasco is is living example of the major
 reason why I think so.

        manoj

--
 Today's thrilling story has been brought to you by Mushies, the great
 new cereal that gets soggy even without milk or cream.  Join us soon