Re: Debian for kids

On Sat, Feb 12, 2000 at 08:35:19PM -0400, Ben Armstrong wrote:
> > > I may well work on Debian for the Blind at some point.  How discriminatory
> > > of me!  ;>
> >
> > Debian for blind is not descriminatory.  Your analogy is excellent if one
> > assumes that everyone
> > labeled 'kid' is by definition handicapped.
>
> I don't even know if someone *born* blind would label themselves as
> handicapped.  They came into the world with different abilities from the
> "norm", which is a world full of sighted people.

I decided not to comment before, but I've changed my mind..  Technically I
meet the legal definition for "blind".  OTOH, I best fit into the
classification of "visually impaired"  While I don't have any qualms about
being called "blind" (even if it is technically a mis-applied label) or
visually impaired (an appropriately applied one with a negative idea
attached that somehow my low vision is bad), I _AM_ very offended to be
called "handicapped".

The fact is that at night I can see better than anyone else on this list
right now.  I can hear better than most of you too and I'll even often
times see details the lot of you would overlook.

Can the lot of you walk down a sidewalk "normally" with your eyes closed
safely because the sun's glare is in your face?  I can.  I can hear the
echo of my footsteps off the sidewalk in such a way that I can do it, even
walking around objects in my way to get home from my classes in the
afternoon.  Should I consider the lot of you handicapped or crippled
because you cannot do the same?

Why then should I be considered anything less than anyone else because I
need a large monitor to be able to work effectively, have to use
magnifiers and get close to read things, or cannot drive?  I can do a
great deal of things almost everyone reading this message cannot even
fathom.

(Sorry Ben, this message really is targetted toward Kyle and the very
large segment of the population that thinks exactly as he does..)

--
Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org>                 Debian Linux developer
http://tank.debian.net   GnuPG key  pub 1024D/DCF9DAB3  sub 2048g/3F9C2A43

* Knghtbrd unleashes a pair of double barreled snurf guns and covers
  jesus with snurf darts
<jesus> meany :P