Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

On Mon, Dec 20, 1999 at 02:16:41AM -0500, Greg Stark wrote:
> Personally I never saw a point in sbin, it was always a solution in
> search of a problem and it violated a central design philosophy of the
> unix hierarchy, causing many more headaches.

I also do not know what problem sbin solves on debian.

[But for historical reasons we can't get rid of it entirely -- if we
could move the contents of sbin to bin we should leave a symlink behind,
but I'm not sure whether dpkg is capable of handling this properly.
Maybe it's safe to say that sbin exists as a historical artifiact and
as a workaround for some dpkg problems]

--
Raul