Re: dbuild running automatically on potato source tre

Ben Gertzfield <che@debian.org> writes:

> You will most likely not ever get the gtk+/glib pairs of packages
> building automatically. The best you can hope for is to build the
> latest glib, install it, and *then* try building the latest gtk,
> installing *it*, and finally trying to build gimp. It's horrid, I
> know.

Given that gnome now has the *-config programs to locate the
libs/flags, etc. for compiling, could you (for example) build glib in
a tmp dir, then make sure that tmp/usr/bin was in the PATH before
trying to build the other things?  This is still a problem, but it
might at least allow building everything without ever having to become
root.

(Of course there are a million ways this could fail, and I don't know
enough about the g* packages to really know how likely that is...).