Re: -rpath with libtool and Debian Linux

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 06:53:24PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

Alexandre,

One would hope that you would learn a bit about Unix before criticizing it.

> > Our distribution cares greatly about separating packages from each other.
>
> Not from the point of view of the end user.  When they want to find a
> tool, they may `ls /usr/bin /usr/local/bin' and will be presented
> *thousands* of files.  I'd rather have a classification system in

If they want to find a tool, this is not the correct place anyway, because
it may not be installed.

Debian does categorize files by package affiliation.  Packages are then
categorized by priority, license, general purpose (editors, games, etc), and
other factors (some at the users' discretion).

> which I could have links (or similar) to all programs in a common
> directory, but in which I could search for programs by subject.  I'd

Debian already has such a mechanism, but one that is not limited to
already-installed software.

> like to have development tools such as compilers in one directory,
> text writing tools such as word processors and text editors in
> another, system administration utilities in another, and so on.

Ahh.  So everyone's supposed to have a 16k PATH variable, eh?

> How does the current packaging system allows me to test one version of
> a package while other users of the same host are running a stable
> version of that tool?  Or are the GNU/Linux distributions all moving
> towards the Micro$oft model of single-user workstations?

So, you tell me.  How can you run one version of the kernel while others run
a different one?  How about sendmail?  You expect the system to somehow
magically know that an incoming SMTP connect will be delivering you mail,
and fire up your own "special" version?  wu-ftpd?  Apache?  Frankly, that is
not practical on a multi-user system.  You are the one asking us to move
towards the M$ model.