Re: New science section

In article <14391.43468.719359.687873@meta.verbum.org>,
Colin Walters  <levanti@verbum.org> wrote:
>Amy Fong writes:
> > I personally think that most physicists are more interested in utilizing
> > math to develop their equations and solve things than studying math itself.
> > It's a tool for them. Take your average physics person and they're more
> > interested in being given the equation and plugging things in. e.g. I can
> > hardly picture a physicist getting excited about recurrence equations
> > themselves unless he/she can use it as a tool.
>
>This is a common joke among university undergraduates, at least in the
>parts of the United States I've been to.

Yep yep. It's very common in a university where there's a separate math
faculty. You sort of look at the math courses engineering and science
students take (plus their exams which are a joke) and roll your eyeballs.

Will not take the bait... will not take the bait.... ARGH!!!!!

>But there's more:
>
>Math is really philosophy.

Those pure math courses probably do have a bit too much philosophy in
them sometimes.

>Philosophy is really psychology.

Oh no. Consider this:
- someone gets screwed up from doing too much Jungian philosophy
- psychology springs into action to "debug" to poor soul

>:)
>
>--
>Colin Walters <levanti@verbum.org>
>http://web.verbum.org/levanti
>(1024D/C207843A) A580 5AA1 0887 2032 7EFB  19F4 9776 6282 C207 843A

Amy