Re: Soundblaster LIVE

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:

> Well, ALSA is not good about drop outs, at least compared to the OSS on a
> typical 16 bits card, it eats less CPU, than OSS but you get the drop outs
> more easily with ALSA, I don't know what causes this, I don't know if the
> ALSA guys have plans to improve this, but it would be a good thing.

	That's contrary to my experience.  When I was using my old SB16,
the quality was MUCH better under ALSA than OSS/Free or OSS/Linux (i.e.
non-free), with no drop outs.
	The other great thing about ALSA - they were smart enough to mute
your sound card when the driver first loads.  Amazing, why doesn't anyone
else do this?

	Chris Pimlott