Re: xdm and user's profiles

    > On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 12:01:19AM -0900, Ethan Benson
    > wrote:
    >> I saw this was mentioned on the -user list before and the
    >> general suggestion was to start your *terms with the -ls
    >> option to start a login shell, there are however some
    >> issues with this solution:

    > Non login shells use ~/.bashrc, while login shells use
    > /etc/profile and ~/.bash_profile. I'm not sure I agree with
    > this approach, but it's what happens. So, just cobble
    > together an appropriate .bashrc and all should be well.

The situation is further complicated because xlogin does not set
the same environment variables as login does.  Even if you run a
terminal with a login shell, the variables that login sets (MAIL
is the one I can recall) is not set.  Maybe I'll submit a
wishlist bug against xlogin asking that it do everything that
login does.

Mike