Re: Debian machine usage policy

On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 01:02:03AM -0800, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 1999 at 04:54:19AM +0000, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > > 3.  Don't use Debian Facilities for unlawful activities, including, but
> > >     not limited to, software piracy.
> >
> > Word `piracy' should be avoided.
>
> I disagree.  RMS' view that software "piracy" should not be likened to
> thievery is irrelivant.  According to the laws of just about everywhere I
> know of, it IS against the law and the label is universally known.  Also,
> I think it's important that something we make available someplace for the
> common reader to find that says we oppose and will not allow our equipment
> to be used for piracy.

According to laws of just about everywhere I know of, it IS against the law
to possess drugs, affront a policemen, distributing hard-porno and doing
A LOT of thinks that gov dont like us to do. In europe even affront to god
is very often a crime (.de, .pl). And if we have kept naming people
afronting god `heretics' and `blasphemers', this would possibly still be
crime everywhere. Someone has to stop this.
`Software thievery' is far better.

> To hell with political correctness.  Dancing around words we don't like
> only confuses people.  And people who are confused by Debian are very
> likely not to consider it.
>
> Another reason to use the word "piracy" to describe something we don't do
> and won't allow is FUD combat.  M$ is doing their damnedest to make sure
> people realize that their software isn't free and convince them that if
> they want software they've got to pay for it.  What does that mean to us?
> I tried to convince the people at school to consider Linux...
>
> Their answer was that installing software without paying for it was
> illegal.  I told them there was no cost and they said they still had to
> pay for shareware or it was the same thing:  piracy.  I told them it
> wasn't shareware.  They fell back on "if it's not shareware then you have
> to buy it."  Yes that's stupid.  Yes they're obviously missing the point.
> Yes they're not listening.  Yes they've obviously been completely
> brainwashed.  But beating around the bush about not allowing piracy only
> makes their FUD easier to believe.

We live in the other worlds.
Question :
- where do you get this soft from
Your world :
- from a pirate
My world :
- from a friend

and they both are reffering to the same person.