Call for comment (Re: Staged Freezes)

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 05:26:56PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
<original proposal snipped - see "Partial Freezes?" in debian-devel>
> I believe staged freezes is a better name for this and it shouldn't be restricted
> to only 2.
>
> A good way of partitioning the packages is as follows:
>   1) everything in base and the boot-floppies
>
>   2) critical apps (for example gcc, X and the parts of perl not in base) plus
>      libraries which only depend on base
>
>   3) libraries which depend on other libraries
>
>   4) everything else
>
> Partitioning the packages could be automated, with a list of exceptions to take care
> of things like X. Even complicated systems like gnome fits into this partitioning quite
> well.

I like the sound of staged freezes too.

Ok, since I haven't heard any negative comments about this - I'll take this a
little further....however I need a bit more information.

Could people with more detailed knowlege than me please comment on the
following:

a) the changes to the install/freeze process that would be required to make
   this idea possible.

b) the policy changes that would be required to implement this.

c) the appropriate forum for deciding if people are interested in pursuing
   this approach.

This will help to judge whether/where to take this next...

Best regards,

Chris

            Linux, because I'd like to *get there* today
Reply with subject 'request key' for GPG public key.  KeyID 0xB4E24219