Re: CUPS anyone ?

On Fri, Nov 05, 1999 at 12:23:13PM -0500, Sergey V Kovalyov wrote:
> I wonder, is anyone really working on packaging CUPS (the new printing
> system based on IPP) ?
> There was ITP about 5 months ago, I think. But nothing happened ever
> since.

That would be my ITP.  CUPS is in Incoming (look for "cupsys*" and
"libcupsys*").

> I tuly hope that eventually CUPS is going to be THE standard, and tightly
> ingrated into the OS. I hope that a GUI interface (similar to SGI's glp)
> will eventually be developed for KDE and GNOME, and integrated into the
> KDE and GNOME applications.
> But for now it would be nice to have at least the CUPS to be packaged. The
> standard lpr is just too crude in comparison.

As long as it continues to grow and mature, I'm sure it will.  Just
don't discount the lpd-clones' maturity and the auditing that has
already been done to them.

> Unfortunately, I'm not a developer and don't have time to package miself.
> I just wanted to point out a really good thing, that does not get
> attention it deserves.

I apologize for the delay.  CUPS was difficult for me, and I learned a
lot in getting it packaged.