Re: FREEZE RESCHEDULED

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 06:31:19AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 07, 1999 at 09:50:57PM +0100, Ruud de Rooij wrote:
> > IMHO, there is no point in freezing if we won't have working
> > boot-floppies expected before the end of the freeze.  Suppose we
> > freeze now, but it takes three more months to produce working
> > boot-floppies, then the released potato will be very out of date.
> >
> > On the other hand, if we wait with freezing until boot-floppies looks
> > relatively stable, the actual freeze may be quite short.
>
> Alternatively, if the boot disks really inspire such apathy from
> developers, maybe we need to kill them and just steal redhat's.

I'm an active boot developer and want to point out that using redhat's or
anybody else's boot scheme is not so simple.  You need to add support for
other archs like Debian has plus all the Deb-specific features we have
in boot-floppies.  If you want to dump everything but x86 then this
developer will no longer be working on boot-floppies full-time.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com