Bash is a monstor (was: ITP: lukemftp)

Herbert Xu <herbert@gondor.apana.org.au> wrote:
> Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > You know that ash is part of what is now under the new BSD license and can
> > now be linked with readline?  And there's even a patch floating around for
> > the purpose.
>
> Indeed, there's even a small patch around that supports history in ash without
> libedit/libreadline.  I have not included it in the ash package because at
> the moment it is not trying to be an interactive shell.

Bash is a monster, each copy uses about 1Mb of memory. I have already set all
my gettys to mingetty, which saves some RAM. I would like to move to using a
smaller shell like ash. I understand what you are saying about a small ash for
scripts on boot disks and the like. I could suggest two ash packages, but it
is probably a bit OTT.

--
I consume, therefore I am