Proposal for a Y2K update (Was: FREEZE RESCHEDULED

On Sunday 7 November 1999, at 12 h 50, the keyboard of Joey Hess
<joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

> I would like to bring back up the idea of releasing a major update to slink.

I agree on the principle.

> I have the majority of the work done, it has been done for months and has
> received a fair amount of testing [1]. This would include kernel 2.2.13,

Even in boot-floppies? They work out of the box with this kernel (it is larger
and broke the slink boot floppies)? Or do you plan to make your release an
"upgrade-only", not installable one?

> fixes, security fixes, an updated X, and little else.

I take the opportunity to remind everybody on debian-devel that it IS possible to make a package whose source compiles out of the box on both slink and potato, thus allowing your package to be easily recompiled for slink users.

It is a shame that some packages which raises a lot of security problems (proftpd...) do not compile on slink, while it is so simple (for most packages, of course teTeX or Xfree are a different thing).

http://www.debian.org/~bortz/slink2potato/