Re: Release-critical Bugreport for November 5, 1999

On Sat, 06 Nov 1999, Christian Kurz wrote:

> > Package: html2ps (main)
> > Maintainer: Stephen Zander <gibreel@debian.org>
> > [REMOVE] Drop this package, htmldoc is a much better alternative
> >   46275  html2ps; html2ps does not work with new perl

I just tried out htmldoc, but I cannot see that this is an alternative
to html2ps, because it seems to be quite restricted in the HTML code
it accepts.  So htmldoc can be used, if you create a HTML page, which
is intended to be converted by htmldoc, but I will run into trouble,
if you try to convert some HTML page which you got somewhere from the
net.  The latter works quite good with html2ps, I sometimes prefer
this over the postscript generator of Netscape, especially when I need
to scale the output to fit it on a page...

> Okay, can it be removed from the archive then?

I personally dislike this idea.  But I don't know enough about
Postscript and Perl to fix the problems in html2ps in combination with
Perl 5.005.

But there is a workaround (until somebody really fixes the problem):
- Make html2ps depend on perl-5.004 (as far as I can see, this is
  still in potato) and change the html2ps perl script to use
  /usr/bin/perl-5.004 as its interpreter.
- Edit /etc/html2psrc to use "ImageMagick: 1" and "PerlMagick: 0", so
  PerlMagick isn't used (this package is linked with perl-5.005, so it
  will fail with perl-5.004), but ImageMagick (the binary, not the
  perl library) is used.  This works very well here.
- Replace "perlmagick" by "imagemagick" in Depends.

I think, that this is an acceptable workaround for potato until we
find someone with the needed knowledge of Perl 5.005 and Postscript to
really fix the problem.

Ciao

        Roland

--