Re: Stop archive bloat: 47MB gmt-coast-full_19991001-1.deb

On Mon, 18 October 1999 13:15:36 -0500, Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Oct 18, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > Another possibility would be someone adding bzip2 support to dpkg et al,
> > and having .orig.tar.bz2's, and data.tar.bz2. (This actually doesn't look
> > like it'd be all /that/ difficult, either, just a matter of conditionally
> > using /usr/bin/bzip2 instead of /bin/gzip. Hmmm.)
>
> There's a pending policy proposal to permit the use of bz2 source
> packages and diffs.  I think dpkg-source is a bit ugly, but it
> probably wouldn't be too hard for a perl hacker (i.e. not me) to add
> the support.

Now, who of the ones that *can* change policy is going to do
anything on it? Please, can some of those give the many of
us an idea of what is the problem or (possibly) what I am
getting wrong?

Thanks,
Alexander

--
Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde
Alexander Koch - <>< - WWJD - aka Efraim - PGP 0xE7694969 - ARGH-RIPE