Re: lesstif: what's the story

Joop Stakenborg <aba@casema.net> wrote:

> I have some packages linked against lesstifg, should I upgrade to
> lesstif1?

You can upgrade if you want to, but the whole point of the new package is so
that you don't have to.  Lesstif 0.86 broke binary compatibility without
changing the soname.  The debian package was compiled with the old ABI until
I took over.  We have to switch over now because otherwise Debian will be
incompatible with other distributions.

Now the rationale behind lesstif1/lesstifg is that they both contain libraries
with the same soname.  lesstifg has the old ABI while lesstif1 is the new
upstream one.  Only one of them can be installed at one time.

Packages depending on lesstifg *will* continue to work without recompilation.
However they may be removed when lesstif1 is installed.

> Maybe it is a good idea if we fix this before the freeze
> and also remove lesstifg-dev from the archive, as there also is
> a lesstif-dev.

The only reason to remove it would be that all new packages can be compiled
with the new ABI.