Re: Announcing debconf, configuration management for debian

On 17-Sep-99, 13:23 (CDT), Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> wrote:
> This is a bit long, so I'll summarize:
>
>   Debconf is a tool that packages can use to ask questions when they are
>   installed. It allows various frontends, from dialog, to gtk to web pages
>   to be used, and it also allows for non-interactive package installs, and
>   allows packages to ask questions all at once, before any of them are even
>   installed.

Nice job, Joey.

I've read (or at least skimmed) the tutorial you posted, and it
looks like the various configuration variables are associated with a
package via the template "foo/variable". What about variables that are
logically shared between packages, such as the default directory for
the webservers, or news server name, and such. Is it acceptable for the
group of affected maintainers to use the virtual package name as the
variable package name? Or would some other way be better?

--
Steve Greenland <vmole@swbell.net>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read