Re: Why is libc-2.1.*.so not stripped?

At 21:49 +0200 1999-07-26, Nils Rennebarth wrote:
Subject says it all:
  Why is the libc DLL not stripped on potato systems? It enlarges *every*
executable (linked dynamically!) by about 100k

It is stripped, with --strip-debug. And whether or not a shared library is stripped does not affect the size of programs linked to it.

After much searching around I compiled the simplest hello world program on
the potato machine. source code like this:
#include <stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
       printf("Hi folks\n");
}
again > 100k in size.

Try as I might I can't make that link into a > 100k executable unless I link it statically.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>