Re: [gnu.misc.discuss,gnu.emacs.gnus] Free software: Packagers vs Developers

On 7 Jul 1999, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Rafael> ------- Start of forwarded message -------
>     Rafael> From: Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk>
>
>     Rafael> The specific issue is that Debian is distributing an alpha
>     Rafael> version of Gnus as the default Gnus for XEmacs on their
>     Rafael> unstable branch.
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>  I imagine the package maintainer's intention is that if that version
>  of Gnus is not ready for prime time when `potato' is frozen and about
>  to be renamed as `stable', then that Gnus will be replaced by a known
>  stable version, and the Alpha/Beta code moved to the newly created
>  `unstable'.

I wish something like this to be made policy. Even if license is free, I
think we should always ask for permission before packaging alphas or betas
for the unstable distribution.

--
 "7d1c716a42918ae1a9ad2895d9a94ea0" (a truly random sig)