Re: Function tags (was Re: sensible-editor - let the user decied)

On edward, Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org> wrote:
> Edward, I think this would be better discussed on debian-devel, as
> it seems more a technical proposal than a policy one (yes, it would
> eventually become policy, but for now, it's not really). Anyway, I
> suggest you re-post it there, and post a followup to -policy saying
> you've done so.
>
> Some nitpicks:
>
> One could argue that anything that looks at environment variables *is*
> asking the user.
>
> >     examples: gnu emacs, gnu emacs, xemacs, xemacs, jove ??, zile ??
>
> You've made duplicate entries, or I don't understand your syntax.

A mistake, I do not know how that happened, should have been:
examples: gnu emacs 19, gnu emacs 20, xemacs 20, xemacs 21, jove ??, zile ??

> > pager   - Any pager.          examples: less, more, vim -R, nview
> >   view  - The vi style pager. examples: nvi, vim -R
>
> view (nview, vim -R, etc.) are NOT pagers, in the standard sense. Try
> "ls -l | view" to see what I mean.

Good point, I tend to use `view -' but I relise that only works with vim not
nvi.

> > www-browser                   examples: lynx, netscape
> >   netscape                    examples: communicator, navigator
>
> You might add "graphical-www-browswer". Or is that distinction handled
> by the interface class?

Good point, I suppose that it could be argued you could have a
graphical-www-browser on the console using aalib to render graphics as ascii
art :-) and a browser for X11 that only reders text, no graphics. But since
neither of these are currently avaliable, and are unlikely to become
avaliable, I would agree that the interface tag should handle it.

> I think it is. I'd like to see more discussion. I'm going to have
> to let it sink in for a day or two before I make more comment.

For all those that did not see the original I posted on debian-policy it is at
http://www.hairnet.demon.co.uk/edward/moretags.html

--
I consume, therefore I am