Re: RFC: provide Packages.bz2 files

On Thu, Apr 22, 1999 at 01:57:52PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> > Look in the archives for the opinion on bz2.  On less than midrange
> > pentiums bzip2 is quite slow.  100k is not much of a diff, even over
> > my modem.
>
> oh come on, i have used bz2 on my 50MHz 68030, and it worked just fine.
>
> also notice that the opinion of previous mail in the list was about .deb
> packages compressed with bz2, not the Packages file.

I too would use Packages.bz2 if they existed.  Some of us have modems
after all and few hundred k over a modem is a significant savings.

"Bruce McKinney, author of of Hardcore Visual Basic, has announced that
he's fed up with VB and won't be writing a 3rd edition of his book.  The
best quote is at the end: 'I don't need a language designed by a focus
group'."