Re: Removing bash (Was: /etc/init.d/network is too simple?)

On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 02:57:45AM +0200, Marek Habersack wrote:
> Well, true, init is also linked dynamically and if it doesn't work, then I'm
> cooked anyway. But the problem I had was that init worked, dynamic library
> including root - didn't work!

How'd that happen?

> If I had sash as a single mode shell BY
> DEFAULT then I would simply boot into single mode, and did all the fixing
> needed to boot normally.

Or you could boot with init=sash with no changes necessary for single
user mode. (I still think making sash the default shell under any
circumstances is bad because its behavior isn't identical to that of
bash, which could confuse people.) I guess the bigger question is
whether sash should have a higher priority. I wouldn't necessarily be
averse to making it standard priority, but I'm not sure it would be
useful except to people who have read all the docs about it--and those
people could install it even if it weren't standard. (In your particular
case, would you have used sash if it had been installed?)

Mike Stone