getpw* in perl with Shadow (was: perl or libc6 bug?: getpwnam('root') in NIS environment)

Stephen Zander <gibreel@pobox.com> writes:

> As the (probable) author of the patch to perl that provide this
> functionality, my answer is yes & no.

Speaking of which, was the performance problem of doing a large number
of getspnam calls (which can get _SLOW_) ever resolved?  I remember
looking into that and having some ideas on how to delay getspnam until
the user actually wanted the data, but never coded anything out of
it.  I suppose I should look at that again and then talk to Darren...