Re: perl or libc6 bug?: getpwnam('root') in NIS environment

At 23:36 +0200 1999-04-14, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
According to Ben Gertzfield:
really. NIS+ is theoretically better

Yes, like ssh, kerberos, etc, and any other of those new-style protocols

Unfortunately Debian is mostly US-based and any safe protocols are
treated like ammuniton. You can't export that even though the rest of the
world alrady has it (or even invented it).

Strangely, no one seems bothered that we aren't actually allowed to export glibc-crypt (at least not the sources). I figure it's safe since the commercial dists do it too.

glibc 2.1 has the necessary pieces for NIS+, though someone needs to package `nis-utils' (ftp://ftp.??.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/net/NIS+/nis-utils-1.0.tar.gz ). Unfortunately the server implementation is not yet stable.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>