Re: not using debian as firewall! (now off topic, to an extent)

   On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Nathan E Norman wrote:
   > Huh?  I missed the beginning of this thread, but Cisco makes a firewall
   > based on a PC platform with a PCI bus!!  It's the PIX firewall.  The
   > biggest advantage I can see is that it boots from flash RAM.

   I've heard about diskless Linux systems.  From what I know, you can put
   the kernel and other things(?) onto an eeprom chip with an eeprom burner
   (now that I found out we have em in the ece department, I'm gonna have to
   try a few things out with this).  The eeprom goes onto the NIC, and the
   kernel loads from ROM.  Voila, diskless (not quite flash rom, but still)

nope, only loader is burned into the eeprom, kernel will be loaded via
network

   I think I should re-read some more HOWTO's before babbling on any further
   though :)

better do it before starting to burn eeproms with bzimage ;)

   *heads off to metalab to read more*

   Do Svidonia,
          ^

   Martin Held
   heldm@ucs.orst.edu
   The way to love anything is to realize that it might be lost.

OK