Re: Intent to adopt: info

On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 08:24:42PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:

> > > This only works when the various versions are called command-line-wise
> > > in the same way. If they're not, a front end is needed.
> >
> > I thought that the prefered info browser could be invoked as 'info',
> > /usr/bin/info.
>
> Hmmm. Most users will expect that to be FSF "info".

Ah, yes.

> > What did you have in mind, with 'front end'?
>
> Have a new program, say "info-browser", that accepts command line arguments
> like "info" does, and invokes the preferred info browser (given an
> environment variable INFOBROWSER), defaulting to "info" (if INFOBROWSER
> isn't set). "info-browser" should know about the various info browsers
> (info, pinfo etc), and invoke them properly.
>
> This way, a user can set the preferred info browser easily, while
> programmers/developers can simply call one program "info-browser".

It's the best idea so far, but in which package shall we put it?
We can't put it in individual info-providing packages, since people
can have only one of them installed, and if they have two, files
would get overwritten. How about base-files (it is installed even
if no info-browser package is installed)?