Upgrade to unstable requires reboot (/lib/libnsl.so.1: undefined symbol: __bzero)

I upgraded to unstable today and was unpleasantly surprised to find that
xdm would not restart. In /var/log/xdm.log, I got:

-:0             : error in loading shared libraries
/lib/libnsl.so.1: undefined symbol: __bzero
xdm error (pid 336): Unknown session exit code 127 from process 13565
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

A reboot solved it, but that seems pretty lame. What went wrong?

--
Brought to you by the letters B and M and the number 4.
"Do you wish to see our *surprising toys*? No! Do not!"