Re: Intent to adopt: info

On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 16:41:56 +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 03:29:25PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:
> > > I could rename GNU info to ginfo, and set up alternatives,
> >
> > This only works when the various versions are called command-line-wise
> > in the same way. If they're not, a front end is needed.
>
> I thought that the prefered info browser could be invoked as 'info',
> /usr/bin/info.

Hmmm. Most users will expect that to be FSF "info".

> What did you have in mind, with 'front end'?

Have a new program, say "info-browser", that accepts command line arguments
like "info" does, and invokes the preferred info browser (given an
environment variable INFOBROWSER), defaulting to "info" (if INFOBROWSER
isn't set). "info-browser" should know about the various info browsers
(info, pinfo etc), and invoke them properly.

This way, a user can set the preferred info browser easily, while
programmers/developers can simply call one program "info-browser".

Ray
--
POPULATION EXPLOSION  Unique in human experience, an event which happened
yesterday but which everyone swears won't happen until tomorrow.