Re: Intent to adopt: info

On Tue, Apr 13, 1999 at 03:29:25PM +0200, J.H.M. Dassen wrote:
> > How do other alternative systems work, like make/pmake, gcc/egcc,
> > irc/epic/others?
>
> Don't confuse update-alternatives with virtual packages or standardised
> front ends.

The situation with irc, IIRC, is that there is one original irc (that is
I guess the package name), and others are clones (like that epic, or bitchx).
This would be the same - there is one original info (meaning the GNU one),
and others are clones (or integrated in editors etc).

> > I could rename GNU info to ginfo, and set up alternatives,
>
> This only works when the various versions are called command-line-wise in
> the same way. If they're not, a front end is needed.

I thought that the prefered info browser could be invoked as 'info',
/usr/bin/info. What did you have in mind, with 'front end'?