Re: RFC: Backup of system data

On Sun, Apr 11, 1999 at 06:26:31PM +0200, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> I know there was an attempt for a dbackup, and its specs (comparing
> the content of the disk with the contents of the deb files, thous
> automatically detecting the files for backup) are technically to best
> solution, but I believe this is not doable.
[...]
> It is sufficient to backup /etc/ and some important data outside of
> /etc/ like /var/lib/dpkg/ or links in /etc/ pointing to somewhere
> outside the tree (except it is static data like /etc/localtime).

	Seconded. I already do most of this locally; I back up for
	example these:
/etc
/home
/root
/usr/lib/cgi-bin
/usr/local
/var/local
/var/named
/var/qmail/alias
/var/qmail/users
/var/state
/var/www
/var/yp

	..the rest seem reasonably recreatable.

--
Havoc Consulting | unix, linux, perl, mail, www, internet, security consulting
+358 50 5486010  | software development, unix administration, training