Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 1999 at 11:03:30AM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
>
> > > and releasing them would have interfered with work in progress by
> > > that maintainer.
> >
> > No, this is not true. The maintainer had not any "work in progress" to
> > solve the problem in another way which I could have "interfered",
>
> "work in progress" is not limited to just solving your particular
> problem.  X is a lot of hard work, most of which is a lot more important
> than a minor packaging aesthetic "problem".

I never said X was not a lot of work, but Branden himself agrees that
creating the dummy packages would have been trivial (read the archives).

> > because I finally did not release them and the problem was not solved
> > at all.
>
> he released a dummy xbase package which depended on all the new
> packages.

I think you are confused about this, or you are mixing different things
here: The dummy xbase package does not "Depend:" on any of the new X font
packages (and of course, it should not).

> I remember that distinctly because i wrote him a message
> complaining about the fact that i was now forced to install xmh and
> (mh|exmh), because it wasn't clear that the 'xbase' package was now
> obsolete and i could remove it if i wanted.

This and the font packages are two different things. The xbase issue
has been solved, the font packages issue has not.

They are independent things, one of them is a split, the other is a
rename. Solving the problem created by the rename could be done
independently of solving the split, and they do not "interfere".

> > The maintainer's wishes in this case were to *not* solve a known
> > problem.  Sorry, but I don't think this is acceptable.
>
> a maintainer has to decide on his/her own priorities.  Brandon was in
> the middle of a major re-organisation of the X packages and, AFAICT, had
> far more important things to deal with.

When we are about to release a new distribution, the upgrade is an
important thing.

> in any case, he ended up solving it in his own way. it wasn't the same
> as your way, but it did the job.

Again, this is not true, or you are still mixing completely different
things, or you are missing the point.

The X font packages do not upgrade automatically.

The release notes says "it is advisable to install the renamed versions of
these packages as soon as is convenient" (I think this was written by
Branden himself).

Therefore, if there is a possibility of doing it automatically (and there
was), it is desirable that this is done automatically, and it is
reasonable to consider it as a bug that they do not.

Thanks.

--
 "55ff1674ee2cf4af8cb01fff5825d5de" (a truly random sig)