Re: Let's CENSOR it! (was: Uploaded anarchism 7.5-1 (source all) to master)

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 06:21:48PM -0600, David Welton wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 06:58:15PM -0500, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:
>
> > I agree totally. You ban anarchism, then you take out bible-kjv. You
> > ban *anything* of a certain type, and you had damn well better be
> > ready to take out *ALL* packages of that type.
>
> Where's the line though?  There has to be some line, somewhere.
>
> Otherwise, I will upload... I don't know, my dad's a photographer -
> I'll scan a bunch of his work and upload it as a 'pretty-pictures.deb'
> - or maybe I'll do a davidw.deb, which includes my curriculum vitae,
> photo, short biography, why I would be a really good person to hire,
> what my interests are, what my views on the world are, on ad nauseaum.
>
> There has got to be a line...

i think the line is drawn by whether you want the world to think you're a
prat or not.

if you wished to upload such tedious packages, i think you should have the
right (as a debian developer) to do so.  the rest of us will reserve the
right to laugh at you for it.

(no offence intended David, i'm just pointing out that aburdity is
self-correcting in an organisation like debian)

the basic rule is: If you want to package it and it's free, then you can.
no-one in debian has the right to stop you.  that was proven conclusively
when bruce tried to censor the purity package and was shouted down by nearly
every other developer.

craig

--
craig sanders