Re: installation scripts?

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Leon Breedt wrote:

> are there any plans to write a debian installation program
> that uses scripts which dictate the flow / look of the installation.
>
> i.e. one edits a script file which the installer parses and acts upon.
>
> IMHO, this would make it a lot more flexible.
>
> just an idea.

Already being worked on.  It is still in the prenatal stages, so I really
don't want to say anything more about it.

Currently, you d/l the debs, using dselect/apt, then, on the first dpkg call,
the configure script takes over, runs thru all the pkg questions, then the
postinst(s) extract the save data.  This should make it possible to not have
to babysit an install/upgrade run.

And yes, the configure program supports standard line-by-line, or full screen
text mode menus.  The x part of it is currently broken, because I haven't
added a function to it that the other, but I have to the other scripts.

Adam