Re: Spam harvesters and this list (was Disaster Preperations)

On Tue, Mar 16, 1999 at 01:02:09PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Joseph Carter wrote:
> >  * I would appreciate it if someone would
> >  * mangle my email address for spam reasons and forward this to -user
> >  * where it will do more good.
>
> What? It's not like this isn't a public list as well. If you're a debian
> developer, your address is out there, on innumerable web pages and
> newsgroups and mailing lists, just waiting to be harvested - nothing can
> prevent that.

No, but some sources are harvested more readily than others.  I have gotten
more spam that I can trace back to -user than I can from any other posting.

(email addressed to some.message.id.gecko@benham.net, for example, and the
message id traces back to this or that post to -user)