Re: install-info problems

At 12:02 -0500 1999-03-03, Johnie Ingram wrote:
"Ossama" == Ossama Othman <othman@cs.wustl.edu> writes:

Ossama> Hi, I was doing a periodic upgrade on of our potato systems
Ossama> and ran into a problem with packages that install info files.

I've seen this on IRC many a time -- it means a GNU install-info found
its way into /usr/local somehow.  The one from dpkg is installed in
/usr/sbin/install-info, and is incompatible with everything else for
reasons that I was never clear on.

GNU install-info didn't used to do much more than copy the info files
into place, it didn't do any manipulation of the dir file. Sometime
later, it became functionally equivalent to Debian install-info, but
we have not bothered to try to ditch our own install-info in favor of
the GNU version. See also Debian md5sum vs. GNU md5sum.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                     <URL:http://web.espy.org/>
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                  <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>