Re: slink's dpkg

On 25 Feb 1999, Bob Hilliard wrote:

> Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:
> >
> > On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Bob Hilliard wrote:
> >
> > >      Raphael Hertzog <rhertzog@hrnet.fr> writes:
> > > :      dpkg does not handle locales properly.  If you use locales, you
> > > : must set LC_ALL=C before upgrading, otherwise dpkg may break during
> > > : the upgrade.
> > >
> > >      If you wish to comment, please do so quickly, as the procedure
> > > for getting manual changes installed in the archives is not quick.
> >
> > Quick comment: I think LANG has precedence over LC_ALL.
>
>      I have never used locales, and don't know anything about the
> variables involved.  What needs to be set for LANG in this case?
> Would it be instead of, or in addition to, the LC_ALL=C?

Ooops! Sorry, I was wrong.

Actually LC_ALL seems to have precedence, and for this reason, setting
LANG is preferred in general (i.e. this way you may override it later).

Since we want to override any setting, LC_ALL seems the right choice.

[ In fact, LANGUAGE has even more precedence than LC_ALL and LANG ].

--
 "fb66de37a954b0f961e0a5c95337da5c" (a truly random sig)