Re: sudo and cracklib

Chris Waters wrote:

> Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
>
> > Ack ... not enough time in a day!  I do plan on devoting a day to
> > cracklib and will have a new upload the end of this week.
>
> Much too late for slink, which is the topic under discussion.
>
> > I'm not sure why you should be concerned about having cracklib.

I'd like to have a system as small as possible. I don't see any reason to
have cracklib on my home "intranet" ;), or on my stand-alone PC at work.

There is overhead in the number of installed packages, in the used
disk-space and the cron entry (which shouldn't be necessary btw, you can use
a script for sysadmins to rebuilt the dictionary manually at will).

This overhead might not be too big, but several small pieces could easily
sum up.  And - it's a matter of principle :)

> I'm not *personally* concerned, but I think that having everyone who
> upgrades from hamm to slink suddenly start getting cryptic daily emails
> from cron is a bad idea.  Fortunately, there has been a new upload of pam
> to slink, so the problem is already solved.

Well, the current sudo still depends on cracklib, because it was built with
the previous pam. Is there any chance that we can get a fixed sudo?

  Ulf